Friday, August 22, 2008

Speed Training, Slow Subways and Feeding Time

After only running a couple miles on Saturday I’m feeling great this week. Tuesday it was supposed to storm…I should know by now not to listen to NY1 TV channel. It will be pouring rain outside and I’ll turn on NY1 weather on the 1’s and they’ll be saying something like, “It’s dry right now, but it’s going to rain tonight.” And it will be 12 noon, POURING RAIN. Well anyway, since it was “going to rain” Tuesday, I decided to take the day off and catch up on some work.

Wednesday, I went to Central Park and ran around the lower loop (1.7 miles) 3 times. I did the first half speed walking/running slow, then I did the second half running as fast as I possibly could like I was racing or running for dear life. I repeated this three times. Each time I finished the fast half, I felt so energized and pumped. It was a really nice, breezy day…just beautiful! This is my variation of a speed work out and should help me get faster. Afterwards E-man and I visited the children’s park in Central Park full of all kind of fun-looking kid’s rides…something to do next summer…he’s a little young for it now (only 5m).

After our run we got stuck on the train for an hour…no announcements or anything just sitting there and sitting there and sitting there. E-man, after being his normal sweet, patient, happy self all day, just lost it after a 20 minute bout of sitting and sitting and sitting on the tracks about 30 seconds outside our stop. He was hungry and tired and stuck on this crowded train next to this guy who wouldn’t stop farting and he suddenly just decided to voice everyone’s feelings and began screaming and screaming and screaming uncontrollably.

This guy sitting down next to us was just sleeping right through it and here I am standing there next to his comfortable self with my screaming baby and my big stroller and diaper bag trying to keep my balance and finally I did something I never did before…I was like excuse me sir, would you mind giving me your seat. I mean how could he sleep through all that?! I hate when guys pretend to be sleeping so they don’t have to be courteous and offer a mother holding a screaming baby a seat. It is just so wrong! But anyways, I finally sat down and was able to feed him and then he was okay. He is really a very happy baby as long as he’s not hungry and stuck on a stupid train with a bunch of rude people.

Oh, I have to tell you about this morning. He had cereal for the first time. I mixed some rice cereal with breast milk and apparently I’m supposed to feed it to him in a bottle, but I didn’t know this. So I mixed it in a bowl and fed it to him with a little baby spoon. For the first couple bites he opened his mouth wide like a little birdy waiting for a worm. But then he started closing his mouth and making faces….so cute…this little personality! So I thought well maybe he was full. I changed his diaper but then he started acting like he was hungry again, you know trying to suck frantically on my arm and stuff. So I tried to feed him again. This time he would open his mouth but he just kept fussing and looking for the boob. So I put the cereal away and gave him some more boob. But he had a little taste. I’m going to try it again over the next couple of days, but in a bottle next time.

I was thinking that if I don’t manage to wean him before November, I’m going to have to take nursing breaks during the NYC marathon. I wonder if they will allow that. I think I would have to start like two hours early to make up for it, because I’m a slow enough runner as it is. :-\

So yesterday we all (E-man, E-man’s daddy and I) went to a little park in Astoria under the Tri-borough bridge where we often hang out by the water, watch the motorcycles, have pic-nics and eat Mr. Softies ice-cream. But as I was exploring it the last time we were there, I realized they had a track. So yesterday we went to the track. My BD walked around the track and talked on his old faithful phone and I pushed the jogging stroller and ran around two for his one. I did about three miles, I’m estimating.

I always over-estimate for psychological purposes if I don’t know. I figure, running a marathon is partly physical but a much bigger part psychological. If you think you can, then you can. If you think you’ve trained enough then you have. So if I’m not sure if I did two or three miles, I tell myself for psychological purposes that I’ve done three miles. So yesterday I did three miles.

Today I’m taking a day off.

Tomorrow I’m volunteering to tell people about my experience with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society fundraising and running a marathon. It was so worth it. E-man’s going to come along and offer to be their coach…lol.

Sunday morning I’m meeting my running buddies in Central Park for a 12 mile run. The best part about the 12 mile run is meeting in the diner afterwards for brunch. The faster we get our run in the sooner we get to go to brunch! :-D

I’ll let you know how it goes…but you can’t join me for brunch unless you first put in 12 miles of running…that’s the prerequisite! ;-)

No comments: